Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
Jasper Fforde writes some awesomely fun fiction. He creates these slightly (or sometimes drastically) different versions of our world that border on the geniusly bizarre.
In his Thursday Next series, the main character is a literary detective for the Jurisfiction department, which patrols the law inside books. Another of his series is the Nursery Crimes books, which features the investigations of DCI Jack Spratt, where he investigates what really happened in classic nursery rhymes. For a book nerd like me, they’re sort of perfect.
For his latest series, Shades of Grey, Fforde has created a future version of our world where social class is determined by one’s ability to perceive color. No one can see more than their own color, and no one knows why— there are many unknowns ever since The Something That Happened. It follows the main character of Eddie Russett, a Red, as he beginnings to discover the truth behind the world he lives in.
In the book, when a person turns 20, they take the Ishihara to determine what color and how high of a percentage of it they can see (the more you can see, the higher your rank will be).
Because the Ishihara is an actual test created to determine color-blindness, I used that as the basis for my design, having the title appear in red as Eddie would see it, among a sea of grey.
You can find out more about the book here.
UPDATE: Jasper posted the cover on his website, which you can view here. Awesome!
2nd UPDATE: Jasper is using the artwork from my cover to print out postcards that he signs and hands out at his book-reading tours across the world! Insanely cool!
75 Notes/ Hide
- purpleshift likes this
- registradus likes this
- grammaticallyuncorrect reblogged this from newcover
- asortofbookevent likes this
- trackbianca likes this
- fiercelyliterate likes this
- frigidairebear likes this
- bitsofivory reblogged this from newcover and added:
- kiwimarquee likes this
- greyadorablecity reblogged this from newcover and added:
- booksavvy likes this
- janeavrils reblogged this from newcover
- wearedust likes this
- cuivres reblogged this from newcover and added:
- albabutter reblogged this from 3rdfloorgirl
- gadevoi reblogged this from sublimesublemon
- versary likes this
- sad-robots-and-scary-monsters likes this
- hasadigahumanity likes this
- asilversweetsound likes this
- sequoya likes this
- caitie-havoc likes this
- formerly-salt-and-burn likes this
- swaggermetimbers likes this
- greatest-hits likes this
- a-quana likes this
- sublimesublemon reblogged this from stopitsgingertime and added:
- charlotte-bronte likes this
- mmmichelle12 likes this
- youcantcancelquidditch likes this
- awkwardalley likes this
- branstarked reblogged this from stopitsgingertime
- stopitsgingertime reblogged this from uwotmviii
- nerdling likes this
- dialling-footnoterphone reblogged this from uwotmviii and added:
- uwotmviii reblogged this from newcover
- pistolwitch likes this
- thisbluebird likes this
- aliisyourfriend reblogged this from newcover and added:
- chrisa511 likes this
- bartsbooks reblogged this from newcover and added:
- theredshoes likes this
- murielspirals likes this
- makesometime reblogged this from newcover
- kiransingh reblogged this from newcover and added:
- maxshimasu likes this
- monikahoo likes this
- rellac likes this
- atoutalheure likes this